Quantcast


Last updated: February 16. 2013 5:39AM - 324 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE – Attorneys for Hugo Selenski, who is accused of double murder, told a judge Thursday they are still awaiting some evidence in the case, even after being given additional time last week to obtain that evidence.


Judge Fred Pierantoni on Thursday also ruled on several ex parte motions made by defense attorneys in a private meeting inside his chambers. Ex parte motions are requests by one party – in this case, the defense attorneys – in urgent matters.


The judge said the requests themselves and his rulings will remain sealed.


Selenski, 38, is facing the death penalty if convicted in the deaths of Tammy Fassett and Michael Kerkowski, both 37. Investigators allege Selenski killed Fassett and Kerkowski on May 3, 2002.


Pierantoni reaffirmed that Selenski's trial will begin Sept. 10.


Attorney Shelley Centini, who represents Selenski with attorneys Edward Rymsza and David Lampman, said that because of the large amount of evidence in their client's case, they have seen only some of the physical evidence involved and are scheduled to review more on April 17 and 18.


Centini also said they also are waiting to obtain evidence from a paralegal, Janna DeSanto, who had worked on a case involving Selenski in Monroe County and that they discussed the matter with First Assistant District Attorney Samuel Sanguedolce and Assistant District Attorneys Jarrett Ferentino and Michael Melnick.


The attorneys, Centini said, came to an agreement with DeSanto, that will involve a mutual pickup of the evidence DeSanto has.


Selenski is serving a 32 ½ to 65-year state prison sentence after he was convicted by a Monroe County jury in July 2009 of robbing and assaulting a jewelry store owner in January 2003.


Comments
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com