Thursday, July 24, 2014





Wright to become richest Met ever


February 19. 2013 7:57PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


NEW YORK — David Wright and the New York Mets agreed Friday to a $138 million, eight-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.


The deal, the richest in franchise history, replaces Wright's $16 million salary for next season and includes $122 million in new money, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement was not yet final.


A homegrown fan favorite and the face of the franchise, Wright is the club's career leader in several major offensive categories including hits, RBIs, runs and walks.


Wright is to attend teammate Daniel Murphy's wedding in Jacksonville, Fla., this weekend, then travel to New York for a physical. The contract with the All-Star third baseman probably will be announced at next week's winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn., the person said.


The agreement, negotiated by agents Sam and Seth Levinson, was first reported by WFAN radio.


Wright, who turns 30 on Dec. 20, would have been eligible for free agency after next season. The Mets also are trying to reach a deal with Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey, who can become a free agent after next season.


Mets general manager Sandy Alderson had said that signing Wright and Dickey to multiyear deals were his top priorities this offseason. Alderson, however, would not rule out trading Dickey in a deal that could upgrade the roster.


Wright batted .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs last season as the Mets went 74-88 and finished fourth in the NL East for the fourth straight year. He also had a .391 on-base percentage to go with 41 doubles and 15 stolen bases.


Teammate Johan Santana signed a $137.5 million, six-year contract with New York after being acquired in a trade from Minnesota before the 2008 season.


Selected with the 38th overall pick in the 2001 amateur draft, Wright made his Mets debut in July 2004 and quickly secured the job at third base — a trouble spot for the team throughout its colorful history.


Wright has made six All-Star teams and won two Gold Gloves, compiling a .301 career average with 204 home runs and 818 RBIs in 8 1/2 major league seasons. He has often expressed his desire to play his entire career with the Mets.


Wright, who had a base salary of $15.25 million this year, appears poised to sign a contract comparable in total compensation to the big deals handed out this year to star third basemen Evan Longoria and Ryan Zimmerman.


Rivera, Yanks finalize deal

NEW YORK — All-time saves leader Mariano Rivera and the New York Yankees have finalized their $10 million, one-year contract.


.


New York also agreed Friday to a one-year contract with utilityman Jayson Nix that pays him $900,000 in the majors and $300,000 in the minors, then designated Nix and right-hander Mickey Storey for assignment. The Yankees claimed right-hander Jim Miller off waivers from Oakland.



Martin signs with Pirates

PITTSBURGH — A day after agreeing to the deal in principle, the Pirates signed free-agent catcher Russell Martin to a $17 million, two-year contract on Friday.


Martin, 29, a three-time All-Star, hit .211 with 21 homers and 53 RBIs in 133 games last year with the New York Yankees. Martin's batting average has declined in each of the last five seasons after he hit .293 and made his first All-Star game while playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2007.


Angels acquire Hanson

ATLANTA — The Braves have traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels for former closer Jordan Walden.


The 26-year-old Hanson set a career high with 13 wins this year but his 4.48 ERA also was a career worst. The right-hander was 45-32 in four seasons with the Braves.


Walden had 32 saves in 2011, then lost his closer's role to Ernesto Frieri and was 3-2 with a 3.46 ERA and one save this year.



Survey: Bonds, Clemens likely miss in Hall of Fame vote


NEW YORK (AP) — Baseball's all-time home run king and the most decorated pitcher likely will be shut out of the Hall of Fame in January. A survey by The Associated Press shows that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, as well as slugger Sammy Sosa, don't have enough votes to get into Cooperstown.


With steroid scandals still very much on the minds of longtime members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America as they cast their ballots, the trio failed to muster even 50 percent support among the 112 voters contacted by the AP — nearly one-fifth of those eligible to choose.


Candidates need 75 percent for election


So Bonds, the only seven-time MVP, and Clemens, the only seven-time Cy Young Award winner, are likely to remain outside the Hall along with career hits leader Pete Rose, who was banned for betting on baseball as manager of the Cincinnati Reds.


I'm not going to vote for anybody who has been tainted or associated with steroids, said MLB.com's Hal Bodley, the former baseball columnist for USA Today. I'm just not going to do it. I might change down the road, but I just love the game too much. I have too much passion for the game and for what these people did to it.


The current ballot was announced this week and Bonds, Clemens and Sosa were on it for the first time. Votes will be cast throughout the month and results will be released Jan. 9.





Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds