Friday, July 11, 2014





Lawyer: No proof to charge Romanians for art theft


March 17. 2013 3:24AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


8a6edd41f21e481a863e434749cfa2d2.jpg



BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) A lawyer for three Romanians who are charged with stealing valuable paintings from a museum in the Netherlands last year says there is insufficient evidence to charge them.


The stolen art includes seven works by Picasso, Monet and Matisse.


Lawyer Doina Lupu said Friday there is no evidence that this was an organized criminal group. She urged that the three not be extradited to the Netherlands, saying the arrests were based on assumptions and on simple declarations and these are not enough.


Bucharest Court on Friday ruled to keep the men in custody pending an investigation.


The thieves broke in Oct. 16 through a rear emergency exit at Rotterdam's Kunsthal gallery, grabbed the paintings off the wall and fled, all within two minutes.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds