On Saturday, February 23, Jack Frost Mountain was all pinked as JFBB presented the sixth annual Ski for the Cure breast cancer awareness day benefitting the local Affiliate of Susan G. Komen Northeastern Pennsylvania.
The organization announced it raised and donated $21,667 from this year’s event, to Dolly Woody, Executive Director, of the Susan G. Komen Northeastern Pennsylvania Affiliate Saturday, March 2. This brings the six year total to over $127,000 and as a result this event has become the second largest fundraising event in Northeast Pa. for Komen.
A portion of lift ticket sales was donated by JFBB and the remainder came from the generosity of local businesses, JFBB staff, ski guests and general public according to Bernie Oldroyd, Chairperson of the event and a seven year breast cancer survivor.
100% of the net proceeds of the fundraising efforts go to Komen, with 75% staying in Northeast PA. The remaining 25% funds Susan G. Komen National Research Grant Program.
Ski for the Cure events included the “Pink Olympics Fun Race”, Dedication Run, Pledge Ski-A-Thon, raffle and more. The Dedication Run is when everyone gathered and skied together to remember those who lost their battle to breast cancer and to honor those presently in treatment, their caretakers and breast cancer survivors. Many breast cancer survivors ski the run behind our Ski for the Cure banner along with all those participating.
The pledge Ski-A-Thon is when skiers/riders collected pledges from family and friends to support how many runs they made as they skied/rode for the cure. Skiers took pleasure in seeing the beautiful pink ribbon snow sculpture created by a member of the JFBB staff. Prizes were given to the individual completing the most runs and getting the most donations.
At the end of the day there was a drawing for great prizes including a 2013/2014 JFBB Season Pass, Pocono 400 NASCAR tickets, getaways, golf outings and other prizes donated by our generous local businesses.