WILKES-BARRE — Investigators are seeking records from a mobile phone owned by the mother of a city man who was shot to death Thursday night.
David George, 24, whose last known address was Academy Street in Wilkes-Barre, was gunned down in front of 73 S. Welles St. at about 11 p.m. He is the city’s seventh homicide victim this year.
According to a police affidavit, officers responded to an 11:06 p.m. call of shots fired in the area. They arrived to find George lying on the tree lawn with an apparent gunshot wound to the head and an open mobile phone lying next to him, its screen still illuminated.
Yvonne George, who was standing on the front porch at of the home when police arrived, identified the victim as her son, police said. According to the affidavit, Yvonne George told officers that she was inside her home when David George called to say he was on his way home. A few minutes later, she heard a single gun shot and went outside to find her son lying on the ground.
“Yvonne George asked officers several times if she could get her cellular telephone which was on the ground directly next to the victim,” the affidavit states.
Under the search warrant issued Friday, investigators requested forensic extraction of contacts, call logs, text messages, pictures, videos and any applications stored on the device to be performed by the state police Northeast Computer Crime Unit.
“Investigators believe that the requested information will assist in furthering the investigation into the homicide of David George,” according to the affidavit.
The shooter remained at-large Friday afternoon.
Six other people have been fatally shot in the city in 2013:
• Jan. 17: Jamel Martin, 20, of South Welles Street, and Leroy Michael Smith, 42, of North Empire Street, both in Wilkes-Barre, were killed in a shooting in front of 131 Scott St., Wilkes-Barre.
• March 16: Renold Julien, 26, was fatally shot in front of Locals 88, a tavern at 88 Poplar St.
• April 25: Derrick Cottle, 40, of Wilkes-Barre, was killed in a shooting in front of 77 Reno Lane. Shauntae Thomas, 36, was charged with criminal homicide.
• June 25: Zackary Williams, 23, of Nanticoke, died from what police said was a shooting inside a house at 32 N. Sherman St. Brandon Switzer, 22, was charged with involuntary manslaughter.
• July 7: Vaughn Kemp, 24, was fatally shot in front of 174 S. Grant St. Joshua Carlos Ovalles, 19, was charged with criminal homicide.
The house where David George was fatally shot also was connected to a deadly shooting in Wilkes-Barre nearly eight years ago.
According to court records, Ronald J. Lewis, 28, resided at 73 S. Welles St. when he shot Darryl T. Williams and Ronell Fuller near Building 320 in the Sherman Hills apartment complex on Nov. 2, 2005. Williams died from a gunshot wound to his neck. Fuller was shot in the buttocks and survived.
Lewis pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and was sentenced in January 2007 to 17 to 34 years in state prison, court records say.
Check back at www.timesleader.com as more information becomes available.