First Posted: 6/8/2013
WILKES-BARRE — An unidentified black male wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, red shorts and only socks on his feet robbed the Turkey Hill market around 4:15 a.m. Saturday at 200 Pennsylvania Ave., police said.
The robber held his hands under his shirt, as if he had a weapon, and demanded money from the clerks. After he had the money, he ordered the clerks into a restroom and fled, police said.
Witnesses estimated the suspect is around 30 to 40 years old, about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, has a goatee-style beard and graying hair, police said.
HAZLETON —City police reported the following:
• Matthew Downey, 21, of Hazleton was cited for disorderly conduct around 2 a.m. Saturday morning outside Babes II Bar along East Walnut Street. Downey also was also cited for public drunkenness when, after being asked to leave the bar, he stayed in the parking lot yelling obscenities.
• Police investigated a burglary at a home along West 18th Street. The claimant said, between 9 p.m. Friday and 3:30 a.m. Saturday, someone stole a laptop computer and wallet from the home. Anyone with information should contact Hazleton Police by dialing Luzerne County 911.
• Bryan Calvo, 26, of West Hazleton was issued a traffic citation for an alleged stop sign violation following a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Church and First streets shortly after 4 p.m. Friday. Calvo was driving a 1999 Infinity I30 and failed to stop for a stop sign , striking a 2007 Hyundai Sante Fe driven by Carol Gowen, 42, of Hazleton. Both vehicles were towed from the scene.
• Rander Mejia Pinales, 20, of Hazleton was cited for disorderly conduct around 2:45 p.m. Saturday for allegedly playing music unreasonably loud in the 100 block of East Green Street.
• Justina Lopez, 45, of Hazleton was cited for disorderly conduct for allegedly playing music loud shortly after 8 p.m. at her residence in the 500 block of Grant Street.
• A 42” Emerson plasma television, a laptop computer, Sony Playstation, Nintendo Wii and a 10” subwoofer were stolen in a burglary Saturday from a residence in the 700 block of Alter Street. Anyone with information about the break-in is asked to contact police through 911.
HANOVER TWP. — Township police reported the following:
• Barbara Tabbit reported Friday that unauthorized transactions were made using her PNC check card, police said.
• An unidentified male stole about $30 worth of candy Friday from the Dollar General along the Sans Souci Parkway.
Later in the day, another unidentified man took different types of men’s underwear from the same Dollar General and fled on foot, police said. The manager reported that he left in a black Jeep that did not have a license plate, police said.