First Posted: 5/21/2013
LARKSVILLE — A man free on bail on charges he was targeting vacant houses to burglarize was caught by Larksville police Tuesday morning allegedly using a corkscrew to break into a deserted house on Garfield Street.
Daniel Edward Eddy, 35, of Willow Street, Plymouth, was found wearing gloves and a headband flashlight while attempting to force open a rear door at the Garfield Street house just after 7 a.m., police said.
Police allege Eddy possessed a pipe cutter, tin snip pliers and a piece of copper pipe when he was arrested.
Eddy was arraigned by District Judge David Barilla in Swoyersville on charges of burglary, possessing instruments of crime and criminal trespass. He was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility for lack of $3,000 bail.
Eddy told police he was looking for scrap metal and planned to steal a metal shed in the rear of the Garfield Street house that is up for sheriff’s sale. He said he found a corkscrew near the shed that he used in an attempt to force open the rear door, according to the criminal complaint.
Court records say Eddy has targeted at least five empty houses or properties for sale in Forty Fort, Swoyersville and Wilkes-Barre in recent weeks. He was free on $20,000 bail on two cases, no bail on two cases and $30,000 unsecured bail on one case, court records indicate.
According to arrest and court records:
• Wilkes-Barre police allege Eddy was found inside a vacant Carey Avenue house on Feb. 26. He told police he is unemployed and looking for copper pipe. A backpack he had contained copper pipe, city police said.
• Forty Fort police allege Eddy entered a house for sale on Rose Street by climbing through a window on March 18. He told neighbors he was buying the house. Police said copper pipe was missing from the basement.
• Swoyersville police allege Eddy stole power tools from a house that is being renovated on Brown Street on March 25.
• Forty Fort police allege Eddy stole copper pipes from a house for sale on Murray Street on March 27.
• Forty Fort police allege Eddy stole copper pipes from a house for sale on Arlington Road on April 4.
Eddy is facing multiple burglary related charges in county court.
A preliminary hearing on the latest criminal complaint by Larksville police is scheduled on May 30.