timesleader.com

2 dead, 4 sick from eating wild mushrooms

November 11, 2012

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Authorities say two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms.


Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that 86-year-old Barbara Lopes and 73-year-old Teresa Olesniewicz — residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis — died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.


Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed says the caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened.