Mugging suspects snagged in W-B

Edward Lewis

January 23, 2013

WILKES-BARRE ‚?? City police believe they apprehended an adult and two juveniles responsible for at least three street muggings since Sunday.

Police captured Jahmel Wadley, 20, of Hill Street, and two male juveniles after a pursuit that ended on South Hancock Street just before 1 a.m. Wednesday, according to authorities.

A student at Wilkes University reportedly was assaulted by several people near Waller Hall on West River Street at about 9:30 Tuesday night. The suspects drove away in a white four-door sedan that might have been involved in another robbery and assault of a pedestrian near the Martz Trailways garage on Old River Road on Tuesday night, police said.

Police say they spotted a white four-door Toyota occupied by five people traveling on Park Avenue at about 12:40 a.m. Wednesday. The driver of the Toyota failed to stop and turned onto South Hancock Street, police said.

The Toyota stopped near the 300 block of South Hancock Street, at which time all the occupants abandoned the vehicle, according to arrest records. The driver of the vehicle, identified as a juvenile, was captured after a foot chase. Wadley and two other juvenile passengers also were soon caught by police, the records state.

A city resident recently reported the Toyota as stolen, police said.

City Administrative Coordinator Drew McLaughlin said in a news release that police have ‚??developed multiple suspects connected to a series of armed robberies and assaults‚?Ě in the city in recent days.

In addition to two muggings Tuesday night, police are investigating a robbery and assault of a male pedestrian in the area of Lehigh and South Sherman streets on Sunday. The man told police his gym bag and wallet were stolen by four males who approached him and had been riding in a white vehicle.

Wadley was arraigned Wednesday afternoon by District Judge Rick Cronauer on two counts of receiving stolen property, and one count each of resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. He was released on $7,500 bail.

Police anticipate filing additional charges, McLaughlin said.