March 19, 2014
SLOCUM TWP. — State police in Shickshinny are investigating a burglary at a home in the area of Slocum Road near the intersection with Blytheburn Road sometime between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. The burglar(s) forced entry by breaking in the front door. It was the fourth daytime burglary in the area in the past two weeks. Anyone with informatioon should call state police at 570-542-4117.
PLAINS TWP. — David Lesh of Pittston and Eddie Gazda of Ashley were to be cited with public drunkenness and disorderly conduct after they were observed urinating on the roadway on Hollenback Street at 1:55 a.m. Monday, police said, adding that the duo was intoxicated and became uncooperative.
HANOVER TWP. — Township police on Tuesday reported the following:
• Joseph Minnik, 56, of Center Street, Upper Askam section, reported unauthorized use of bis credit card since October 2013. He told police seven charges appeared on his bank statement that were no made by him.
• Pearl Segear, 65, of Monahan Court, Newtown section, reported a theft of checks from her residence. The checks were later cashed in Forty Fort and Forty Fort police are investigating.
• Louise Forsha, administrator of Hampton House on the Sans Souci Parkway, reported the theft of money and clothing from two residents there.
• Michael Flecknoe, of Columbus Avenue, Wilkes-Barre, told police on Tuesday that a late 1990s-model Honda pulled up next to him when he was walking near Hanover Street and Clarks Crossroads at about 11:30 a.m. Monday and a Hispanic male got exited the passenger side of the car, punched him in the nose and face and took his Lenovo ThinkPad computer, backpack, iPod and prescription medication. He said he initially went to Warrior Run town hall and called Nanticoke police to report the incident.
HAZLETON — City police reported the following:
• Someone turned in a lost or stolen digital camera that was found in the street on Tuesday.
• A male reported being assaulted in the area of 14th and Alter streets Sunday afternoon and falling unconscious. When he awoke, he noticed that 42 had been taken from him. Anyone with information should call police at 570-459-4940 or 911.
• Someone stole a stereo from a residence in the 100 block of East Beech Street sometime between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday. Anyone with information should call police at 570-459-4940 or 911.
Anyone who can provide information about the assault or burglary or who can provide ownership information on the camera should call police at 570-459-4940 or dial 911.
• Jesalyn Peltz, 18, of Hazleton, was cited with violating the city ordinance prohibiting use or possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia following a traffic stop near 6th Street and Taylor Court at about 4 p.m. Tuesday, police said.
WILKES-BARRE — City police are investigating an armed robbery at Hazle Mart on Hazle Street on Monday night.
Police said the owner of the store reported a black man, wearing a black mask, gray hooded sweatshirt, jeans, white gloves and black boots entered the store at about 8:35 p.m. and aimed a handgun at him.
The gunman told the owner to go behind the counter and open the cash register.
Police said the gunman followed the owner behind the counter and took cash when the register was opened, police said. A carton of Kool cigarettes was also stolen during the armed robbery, police said.
WILKES-BARRE — City police reported the following:
• Police on Tuesday charged Crystal Epps, 25, of New Street, Plymouth, with theft after she allegedly stole $412 cash and a phone card valued at $59.36 from Anthracite Newsstand, East Market Street, on Nov. 27. Epps was an employee at the news stand at the time of the theft, police said.
• Orlander Clements, age not released, of Wilkes-Barre, was cited with retail theft after he allegedly stole two packs of Gilette Sensor disposable razors from CVS Pharmacy, South Main Street, on Monday. Clements was identified through a prescription he had dropped off at the pharmacy.
• Police apprehended a man from Avoca on an arrest warrant issued by Luzerne County Court.
Frank Marriggi, 32, of Avoca, was stopped for a traffic violation in the area of North and Harrison streets on Monday. A record’s check showed he was wanted by the county Sheriff’s Department.
A search allegedly uncovered seven suspected heroin packets, a syringe, spoon and a crack pipe inside Marriggi’s coat pockets, police said.
He was charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Marriggi was jailed at the county prison.
• A man wanted on drug offenses was captured Monday at James Conahan Intermodal Transportation Center on South Washington Street.
Officers on patrol spotted Justin Jarski, 36, of Plains Township, sitting on a bench at about 12:54 p.m. Jarski noticed the officers and began walking to an exit when he was stopped.
Jarski was wanted on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia. Police said a search uncovered a pipe with burnt ends and residue.
Jarski was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility.
WILKES-BARRE TWP. — Township police reported the following:
• The store manager at Victoria’s Secret, Wyoming Valley Mall, reported Sunday an unknown person had stolen $4,014 worth of clothing from the store. It was unknown when the merchandise was stolen.
• Joan Hibdon reported Monday someone punctured a tire on her Ford vehicle while it was parked on Nicholson Street.
• Store security at Walmart Supercenter, Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace, reported Monday a man and a woman stole $600 worth of merchandise, including DVDs and a Sony and Panasonic sound systems. The thieves drove away in a white Ford pickup truck.
The same style of truck was used in the theft of a LG 47-inch television from the store on Saturday.
The man has a tattoo on his face possibly in the shape of a lightening bolt.
• A woman tried to steal nearly $400 worth of DVDs from Walmart Supercenter, Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace, on Friday. She drove away in an orange Chevrolet Cobalt. Security recovered the DVDs when the woman dropped her purse.
• Anthony Stout reported Friday someone gained access to a storage unit at Mundy Street Self-Storage and stole $800 and two checks. Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call Wilkes-Barre Township police at 570-208-4635, ext. 870.
FAIRVIEW TWP. — State police Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement said they recently cited Komaqi, 121 S. Mountain Blvd., with unlawfully possessing liquor obtained from a source other than a state liquor store.
HAZLETON — City police reported the following:
• Police are investigating a burglary at a business in the 500 block of South Church Street that was reported on Monday.
• A rear window was smashed on a 2011 GMC when it was parked in the 700 block of Carson Street Monday night into Tuesday morning.