KINGSTON — A borough homeowner was lucky he decided to have an early lunch Tuesday.
He arrived at 585 Gibson Ave. and heard noise in the walls, according to Kingston Fire Chief Frank Guido. It turned out a fire erupted in a stove vent, Guido said.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze just after 10 a.m.
“The wife was getting ready for work and her husband arrived home and heard crackling in the wall,” Guido said. “They were lucky, it could have been much worse.”
Names of the homeowners were not released.
Assistant Fire Chief Floyd Young said the fire was located in an exhaust vent to a stove.
“The gentleman came home for an early lunch and heard crackling in the wall,” Young said. “We were able to dig it out of the wall.”
A firefighter on a ladder removed the vent that was scorched.
No injuries were reported.
Guido said the house sustained “very minimal damage,” and the homeowners could still live there.