(AP) The parents of a Louisiana man whose death in 2011 was linked to a rare brain-eating amoeba have settled their lawsuit against the manufacturers of two household devices that they blamed for their son's deadly infection.
Settlement terms weren't disclosed in a federal judge's order that dismissed the wrongful death lawsuit on Oct. 15.
Last year, Jeffrey Cusimano's parents sued NeilMed Pharmaceuticals Inc., maker of a "neti pot" that the 28-year-old used to clean his sinuses with water. They also sued Rheem Manufacturing Co., which made a water heater in his home.
Their lawsuit claimed defects in both devices allowed Cusimano to become infected by Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that recently was found in St. Bernard Parish's water system.
Both companies say their products did not have any defects that would have caused the infection.