Sunday, July 13, 2014





Prince Harry returns from Angola charity trip


August 17. 2013 7:36PM
Associated Press



Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) Britain's Prince Harry has returned from Angola, where he visited a landmine clearance charity championed by his late mother, Princess Diana.


The HALO Trust charity said Saturday the 28-year-old prince visited the Angolan town of Cuito Cuanavale, which saw heavy fighting during the southern African nation's 1975-2002 civil war.


The group said Harry toured minefields and met beneficiaries of the group's work.


Harry was following in the footsteps of Diana, who visited minefields in Angola in 1997 and drew global attention to the charity's efforts to clear them.


Kensington Palace said in a statement that Harry was pleased to see the progress HALO had made and that he was keen to continue supporting its work.


The prince visited minefields with HALO in Mozambique in 2010.


The group said that it began clearing mines in Cuito Cuanavale about three years after the end of Angola's civil war, and that it has so far located and destroyed more than 21,300 mines.


The charity, founded in Afghanistan in 1988, now works in countries including Cambodia, Laos and Zimbabwe.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds