Friday, July 11, 2014





Official: Worker's cigarette caused Pa. gas blast


July 30. 2013 1:02PM
Associated Press



Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) A city councilman says a contractor's cigarette caused a gas explosion that leveled a Philadelphia home, injuring eight people.


Inspectors at the scene of Monday's explosion concluded a gas leak was to blame for leveling the unoccupied home, which was being remodeled. On Tuesday, they returned as they try to figure out what caused the leak.


Councilman Mark Squilla was at the scene and told reporters that a contractor had been trying to light the pilot on a water heater. At one point, Squilla says, the man lit a cigarette and the house exploded.


The contractor remains in critical condition with burns. Seven others were treated for minor injuries.


The explosion comes less than two months after a collapse that killed six people at a downtown demolition site.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds