There’s still time to cast a vote for a winner in the county-wide “Lego Build-Off Contest,” sponsored by the library system. Pictures of the four entries are on display at the Abington Community Library on top of the Reference Shelves, opposite the Circulation Desk. The contest will run until Aug. 10. Teams of boys and girls met in July at their home libraries to put together their Lego structures. The winning library team will be awarded a trophy, constructed of Legos by Joel Gardoski, Clarks Summit. Pick up a ballot at the desk or vote online.
New Adult Fiction
• “Skinner” by Charlie Huston: Skinner’s CIA handlers banished him to the hinterlands of the intelligence community, but now a cyber terrorist attack on the U.S. power grid is about to end that long exile. His asset is Jae, a roboticist who uncannily perceives the violent shaping of a new era of guerrilla warfare.
• “The Midnight Promise: A Detective’s Story in Ten Cases” by Zane Lovitt: John Dorn, a private detective in Melbourne, Australia, is handed an infinite supply of hopeless cases and lost causes. The cases are as different as can be, but each one reveals a little more of Dorn’s own troubled past and his dire present.
• “The Wild Beasts of Wuhan” by Ian Hamilton: As Ava Lee infiltrates one of the most prestigious auction houses in the world, she uncovers a massive web of corruption, where high art and high stakes fraud threaten more than just her client’s business. This is one scam that could get her killed.
• “Circle of Shadows” by Imogen Robertson: Mrs. Harriet Westerman, is convinced that her brother-in-law, Daniel Clode, is innocent of the murder of the beautiful Lady Martesen of the Duchy of Maulberg, a German court full of opulence, intrigue, and deadly secrets. Here is a tale of 18th century forensics and murder that take Harriet and her friend, Gabriel Crowther, from England to the continent for the first time as they seek to save Daniel from execution.
• “The Ghost Riders of Ordebec” by Fred Vargas: Commissaire Adamsberg agrees to investigate the strange happenings in Ordebec, a small French town terrorized by wild rumors and ancient feuds, where local gendarmes dismiss the visions of the beautiful girl, Lina, as superstition.