With six NFL preseason games scheduled for Thursday night, nine former Nittany Lions will be in action.
(Below is a list of the nine and the games they are playing in.)
But on Wednesday, it was some current Nittany Lions that were drawing attention on NFL.com.
The website’s CFB 24/7 blog had a pair of stories praising current team members.
Writer Bryan Fischer named quarterback Christan Hackenberg as one of 14 QBs that have the potential to develop into elite college quarterbacks this season.
“He’s got great size at 6-foot-4, 234 pounds and looks like a classic dropback quarterback who has all the potential in the world,” Fischer wrote of the Penn State sophomore.
“It’s very possible he’s the best in the Big Ten, and one of the best in the country by the end of the year.”
Other Big Ten quarterbacks on Fischer’s list include Michigan State junior Connor Cook and Michigan senior Devin Gardner.
NFL media analyst Bucky Brooks ranks Penn State as the No. 25 team in the nation in terms of NFL talent on the roster in another post. Not too bad considering the Nittany Lions are still toiling under scholarship restrictions thanks to the NCAA sanctions handed down in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky trial.
Brooks calls Hackenberg “the headliner,” but he also mentions tight end Adam Breneman, running back Bill Belton, guard Miles Dieffenback and defensive end C.J. Olaniyan.
Brooks has only released his rankings for teams Nos. 11 through 25 so far. Check back at nfl.com/cfb247 later in the week to see if Notre Dame or Pittsburgh crack his Top 10. (I’m betting neither do.)
And now without further ado, here is that promised list of games involving Penn Staters on Thursday night:
• San Francisco 49ers at Baltimore Ravens, 7:30 p.m.: Balt: OL A.Q. Shipley, OL John Urschel.
• New England Patriots at Washington Redskins, 7:30 p.m.: Wash: RB Evan Royster.
• Cincinnati Bengals at Kansas City Chiefs, 8 p.m.: CIN: DT Devon Still. KC: LB Tamba Hali.
• Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, 9 p.m.: Sea.: DT Jordan Hill, OL Gary Gilliam.
• Dallas Cowboys at San Diego Chargers, 10 p.m.: SD: OL Rich Ohrnberger, OL Johnnie Troutman.