HAZLETON — City police are searching for a medium blue-colored minivan that drove away after crashing into a Jeep Commander at Green and Wyoming streets at 5:44 a.m. Monday. The minivan should have damage to its passenger side.
HAZLETON — A man from Hazleton was charged with a felony count of retail theft on allegations he had stolen a hoagie valued at $4.23 from Giant Supermarket on South Locust Street on Sunday.
Kenneth G. Reichart, 59, address unknown, was charged with retail theft and receiving stolen property. He was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility for lack of $3,000 bail.
Police said in the criminal complaint Reichart has three previous retail theft convictions making the latest allegation a felony.
WEST HAZLETON — A man from West Hazleton was arraigned Sunday on charges he fled from police and possessed marijuana.
Hector Escoto Ledesma, 23, of West Green Street, was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and four traffic violations. He was released after posting $1,500 bail.
West Hazleton police tried to stop Ledesma, driving a Ford Explorer, after he failed to stop at a stop sign and use a turn signal at Ridge Avenue and Samborowski Street on Nov. 24. Ledesma drove through other stop signs and abandoned the Ford in the area of Ridge and Samborowski streets, according to the criminal complaint.
Police said in the complaint they found marijuana in the Ford.
WILKES-BARRE TWP. — Township police reported the following:
• Joan McDonald reported Friday her wallet was stolen when she was inside Walmart Supercenter, Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace.
• Marion Kania reported Monday her purse containing money, credit cards and a Samsung Galaxy 4 cellphone was stolen from the parking lot of Skateaway, Blackman Street.
• Police said they charged Cody Burk, 21, of Plymouth, with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia when he was allegedly found with marijuana during a traffic stop at New Frederick and Blackman streets on Sunday.
• Edwin Ponnuswamy-Sundaravaivoo reported Sunday his wallet was stolen when he was inside Chuck E. Cheese, Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace.
• Phillip Morgan reported Sunday his iPhone 5 was stolen from the restroom inside JC Penney, Wyoming Valley Mall.
• Police said they cited a 17-year-old girl from Wilkes-Barre with disorderly conduct after she became irate and used obscene language at officers inside Target, Wilkes-Barre Township Commons, on Saturday.
• Richard Hart reported Saturday an unknown person kicked in the rear basement door of his residence. No items were reported stolen.
• Police arrested Rebecca Getz, 38, of Hunlock Township, on charges of retail theft and possession of drug paraphernalia when she allegedly stole $14.95 worth of merchandise from Target, Wilkes-Barre Township Commons, on Saturday. Police said Getz was allegedly in possession of a syringe. She was free after posting $3,500 bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled on May 28.
• Tyler Amplo reported Friday his wallet he left on the roof of his vehicle was stolen in the parking lot of Walmart Supercenter, Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace.
• Max Jordan reported Saturday someone took a 46-inch Samsung flat-screen television during a burglary at his residence on Indian Creek Drive, Wilkeswood Apartments.
• Kenneth Brill of Center Street reported Monday someone entered his residence between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. and took a 55-inch Hitachi LED television.
HAZLE TWP. — State police at Hazleton reported the following:
-A purse belonging to Tawana Reeb, of Bloomsburg, was stolen from a locker inside Family Dollar, North Church Street, on May 14. A white man in his 20s, mustache and beard, and wore tan shorts and a grey shirt is a suspect in the theft.
-Someone person passed two counterfeit $20 bills at Sheetz, Airport Road, on May 10.\
-Someone took money from a vehicle owned by Geraldine Frances Sydlo while the car was parked in front of her residence in the 600 block of Winters Ave. on Friday or Saturday.
FREELAND — A 47-inch Samsung smart television and a PlayStation III were stolen from the residence of Michael Breznak in the 400 block of Green Street on Friday or Saturday, state police at Hazleton said.
SUGARLOAF TWP. — A Sunbury man was flown to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center for a head injury suffered in a crash at state Route 93 and Interstate 81 on Saturday.
State police at Hazleton said Donald Ray Miller Jr., driving tractor-trailer filled with compost runoff water, failed to negotiate a curve on the exit ramp. The rig overturned and traveled about 90 feet, blocking south and northbound lanes of Route 93 and spilling its contents.
Miller had to be freed from the truck tractor and was flown to Geisinger Wyoming Valley.
FOSTER TWP. — State police at Hazleton cited an 11-year-old boy from Freeland with criminal mischief when the boy allegedly spray painted obscenities and covered tail lights and deflectors on the back of a bus owned by Evancho Bus Lines, removed a gasoline cap from a second bus and took several fuses from a third bus on Friday.
The alleged mischief was recorded on surveillance cameras.
DENNISON TWP. — Zach Plescia of White Haven reported Monday an unknown person had stolen a car charger and an EZ Pass from his vehicle when it was parked in the area of 44 Linden Dr., state police at Hazleton said.
HAZLETON — City police reported the following:
• A man in his 30s was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital - Hazleton for injuries he suffered in an assault by two men in the area of Fifth and Carson streets, just before 5 a.m. Tuesday.
WINDHAM TWP. — A man from Towanda was flown to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center on Saturday for injuries suffered in a crash on state Route 3001, state police at Tunkhannock said.
State police said Leslie A. Parker, 58, of Towanda, driving a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado, was traveling north on Route 3001 and lost control on a curve at about 10:40 p.m. Parker’s vehicle struck a tree and rolled onto its roof.
Parker and passengers, Rebecca A. Parker, 53, Autumn Lewis, 34, a 10-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl, all from Towanda, were not injured.
Rusty W. Campbell, 52, was flown to Geisinger Wyoming Valley for serious injures. A 16-year old boy from Ulster suffered minor injuries, state police said.
BUTLER TWP. — Township police reported the following:
• No injuries were reported in a two-vehicle crash at North Hunter Highway and South Main Street on May 14. Police said John P. Corinchock, 61, of Delano, turned onto North Hunter Highway in front of another vehicle driven by Jennifer L. Ryan, 36, of Freeland.
• Police said a 55-year-old man from Drums was treated at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Hazleton for injuries suffered in a fight at Evans Roadhouse, North Hunter Highway, on Friday. Police are continuing the investigation.
• Police are investigating the theft and criminal mischief of newspapers in Beech Mountain Lakes early Sunday morning. Someone stole and threw newspapers in roads while following a person in a vehicle delivering newspapers.
• Wires were cut to a water well pump outside a residence on Maple Street on Sunday.
• A 17-year-old boy reported Saturday his cellphone was stolen while he was at a residence on Covey Lane in Drums.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled on May 28.