KINGSTON — Dennis Shumbris, 35, of Harveys Lake, was charged with burglary, attempted burglary, criminal mischief and using instruments of a crime and lodged in the Luzerne County Prison after Kingston police allegedly caught him attempting to break into Franconi Auto Parts on Market Street, police said.
Police responded to the business shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday in response to an automatic alarm and obtained the license plate information of a vehicle fleeing the scene. The plate was traced to Shumbris’ Carpenter Road residence, where he was picked up, police said.
Shumbris was on parole for a prior burglary and also is a suspect in other burglaries in Dallas and Dallas Township, Kingston police say.
WILKES-BARRE — City police reported the following Sunday:
• Melissa Sheppard of Wilkes-Barre was cited with disorderly conduct and harassment after an incident inside Denny’s Restaurant on Kidder Street around 6 a.m. Sunday.
• Nicole M. Kendreth of Wilkes-Barre was picked up shortly before 8 a.m. as she was walking on Sherman Street because police officers said they knew she was wanted for failure to appear in Luzerne County Court on a retail theft charge. She was transported to the county prison.
• James D. Walsh of Wilkes-Barre was cited with public drunkenness Sunday morning after police responded to an incident in the 800 block of South Main Street.
• An unidentified 30-year-old Tucson, Ariz., man was treated for multiple head and facial injuries after an assault at the Susquehanna Ale House on South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre, shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday.
Police received reports the man was jumped by two or three men when he tried to intervene in an argument involving his sister and her friend inside the bar. The fight continued outside, and the victim was knocked to the ground and repeatedly kicked by one or more suspects who fled toward Public Square in a vehicle believed to be silver in color, witnesses said.
The victim initially refused medical treatment on scene but was transported to a local medical facility for treatment. Police said he has not cooperated with them in their investigation.
HAZLETON — Kurt Mumie was charged with burglary, criminal attempt to commit burglary and criminal trespass Sunday morning because police said they believe he was involved in an Oct. 5 incident. He was arraigned and lodged in the county prison after failing to post bail.
Police picked up Mumie around 8:40 a.m. inside a vacant property at Fifth and Alter streets while investigating a report of a suspicious man in that area.
HANOVER TWP. — Township police reported the following incidents this weekend:
• Kevin Mihalko, Shawnee Street, reported several pool cues were stolen from his vehicle the night of Oct. 3 or morning of Oct. 4.
• Amy O’Kane, Edwardsville, reported money was stolen from her vehicle while it was parked at J.P. Mascaro & Sons on the Sans Souci Parkway.
• A 15-year-old female was arrested for underage drinking after being found in possession of alcohol and displaying signs of consumption at the Hanover Area football game Friday night.
• Thomas Brannigan reported the paint on his 1995 Ford truck was damaged by eggs thrown while the vehicle was parked on Lee Park Avenue Saturday night or Sunday morning.
• John Garrah reported the theft of a lawn furniture from the back patio of his Norwood Avenue property sometime between Friday night and Sunday morning.
• Chad Vail, Shawnee Street, said his wallet containing credit and debit cards was stolen from his 2003 Honda on Thursday night or Friday morning, and two cards had unauthorized transactions. Police are contacting the stores involved in the purchases.