Tire fire quickly put out
Firefighters quickly extinguished a tire fire along railroad tracks in the area of Pringle and Brook streets early Monday morning.
The fire was reported just after midnight. Firefighters reached the flames from Schuyler Avenue in Kingston.
No other information was available on Monday.
Council considers paving bids
Wyoming Borough council will hold a special meeting for the purpose of awarding the Butler Street paving project at 5 p.m. today at the borough building, 277 Wyoming Ave.
Due to the Memorial Day holiday, garbage and recycling pickup will be on Thursday.
Boback sets office hours
State Rep. Karen Boback, R-Harveys Lake, released her satellite office schedule and veterans assistance hours for the month of June. A member of Boback’s staff will be available on the following dates and times:
• June 5, 9 a.m. to noon, at the Conyngham Township Municipal Building, 10 Pond Hill Road, Mocanaqua
• June 6, 10 a.m. to noon, at the Salem Township Municipal Building, 38 Bomboy Lane, Berwick
• June 11, 10 a.m. to noon, at the Dorrance Township Municipal Building, 7844 Blue Ridge Trail, Dorrance Township; and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Wright Township Municipal Building, 321 S. Mountain Blvd., Wright Township
• June 19, 9 a.m. to noon, at the Benton Senior Center located in the Northern Columbia Community and Cultural Center, 42 Community Drive, Benton
• June 26, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Shickshinny Senior Center, 19 W. Vine St., Shickshinny
Anyone who cannot attend the satellite hours can contact either of Boback’s full-time district offices in Sweet Valley at 477-3752 or in Tunkhannock at 836-4777. Residents can also call toll free at (800) 278-3930.
Patrick Rogan, a caseworker for U.S. Rep. Lou Barletta, R-Hazleton, will be available on June 10, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at Boback’s Sweet Valley office, 5929 Main Road, off Route 118, and then 1:30-3:30 p.m. at her Tunkhannock office, 608 Hunter Highway, Suite 110.
Veterans’ assistance hours at her Sweet Valley district office on June 18 are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. A claims consultant from the Wilkes-Barre Veterans of Foreign Wars will be available to address questions and concerns of local veterans and their families.
The Department of Veterans Affairs’ Mobile Veterans Center will be at her Tunkhannock district office on June 3, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. In conjunction with state Sen. Lisa Baker, R-Lehman Township, it will be at the Dallas Shopping Center on June 21, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
State parks app sanctioned
ParksByNature Network LLC has an officially sanctioned state park app for Pennsylvania and other northeast states.
The Pocket Ranger app is free and equipped with all the necessary features for planning a fun and safe park adventure, including state government-supplied trail and landmark data, as well as detailed safety and facility information. The app is configured for both iPhone and Android platforms.
The app features advanced GPS technology for tracking trails and marking waypoints.
Key features include:
• Places Near Me and Search By Activity, locating recreational destinations and activity availability closest to visitors, and Camping and Lodging with information about all in-park overnight facilities.
• Friend Finder, allowing users to keep track of one another while outdoors, and the potentially life-saving Alert feature, which supplies GPS coordinates to designated contacts in case of an emergency.
• Rules & Regulations, Calendar of Events, and License & Permits.