Quantcast


Last updated: July 23. 2013 11:48PM - 1737 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

WILKES-BARRE


Free e-recycling


set for Saturday


Solomon Container Service is offering a free recycling drop-off for a variety of used or obsolete electronics from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday for all Wilkes-Barre residents.


Electronics may be dropped off at Solomon Container Service, 495 Stanton St.


Only electronic items will be accepted for recycling. Household appliances, including air conditioners and lawn mowers, are not acceptable. Also, paper documents will be shredded at no charge.


WILKES-BARRE


Cemetery tours


focus on Civil War


The Luzerne County Historical Society will host Civil War tours of Hollenback Cemetery at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday.


Learn about people such as Wilkes-Barre native Alexander Hamilton Bowman, superintendent of West Point during the Civil War. Hollenback Cemetery is located at North River and Maple streets, Wilkes-Barre.


The cost is $7 for historical society members and $10 for non-members. For reservations, call 823-6244, ext. 3.


PITTSTON TWP.


Airport to boost


its fuel storage


Nineteen Pennsylvania airports will make safety enhancements and improve their operations with the aid of a $2.1 million state investment that was announced Tuesday.


The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport near Avoca will receive $300,000 to expand the airfield fuel facility. The estimated cost of the project is $400,000; the state will pay 75 percent of total project cost, with the airport paying the remaining 25 percent.


Airport Director Barry J. Centini said the plan calls for adding 20,000 gallons of jet fuel storage tanks to the 30,000 gallons the airport can currently store. The project will soon go out to bid and could start as early as this year, Centini said.


HERSHEY


Area teens attend


state police camp


Area teenagers have been selected to participate in the annual State Police Commissioner’s Honors Camp, being held this week at the State Police Academy in Hershey.


Shelby Gardner of Pittston, Andrew Hudak of Scranton, Bridget Fausey of Orangeville and David Lyons of Duryea join 40 other teens from across the state at the event that involves troopers teaching the camp cadets about criminal investigations, police skills, use-of-force and related topics. The camp includes team problem-solving activities and sports, as well as a visit to the Capitol, Gettysburg, state police headquarters and the governor’s residence.


WILKES-BARRE


Healthy workplaces


to get recognition


Employers that have implemented successful workplace wellness programs will soon have an opportunity to be recognized for their efforts.


In cooperation with seven regional chambers of commerce and the ChamberChoice program, Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania is seeking nominations for the 2013 Healthy Workplace Awards Program. Previous Healthy Workplace Awards winners also can be nominated for the Continuing Excellence Award, which recognizes a past award recipient that continues to pursue workplace wellness.


The Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry is accepting nominations. Wilkes-Barre area employers may nominate themselves, or can be nominated by a third party, by visiting www.chamberchoice.com, entering their county and clicking “Health and Well-Being” to download the form. Nominations may also be submitted by calling 570-823-2101.


After the nomination process, which runs through Aug. 30, winners will be chosen in two categories — businesses with up to 49 employees and businesses with 50 or more employees.


Comments
All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Wilkes-Barre Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com