Today is National Gyro Day and King of Kings Gyros on Public Square is celebrating by offering live music, giveaways and selling regular gyros for $5, a $2 savings. Also, get a king sized gyro for $7 instead of the normal $8 menu price. Go to www.eatmoregyros.com for a chance to win additional prizes but hurry, you must register by 8 tonight.
This weekend is also part of the Labor Day holiday so cookouts, picnics and camping trips are taking place throughout the region.
If you waited until today to get the deals, smart move. You’ll have to battle long lines at the grocery store but they’ll be worth it with the savings you’ll realize.
Here’s a look at the top offers:
• Shur Save has Steak-umm frozen boxed burgers buy-one, get-one free. They come in original or sweet onion varieties in two-pound boxes. Also on a BOGO sale are all varieties of Doritos chips.
• Thomas’ Foodtown has watermelons for $3.99 a piece and one pound packs of Hatfield franks for 99 cents with various varieties included in the offer.
• Redner’s Warehouse Markets has store brand family packs of skinless, boneless chicken breasts for $1.98 per pound. Also sweet is the sale on locally grown peaches and nectarines. They can be had for 88 cents per pound.
• Weis Markets has a plethora of picnic goodies to choose from. On the buy-one, get-one free front, choose from blueberries and strawberries, Lay’s chips, Nathan’s beef or Ball Park meat franks and savings packs of Weis boneless, skinless chicken breast or Swift Premium boneless pork chops or country style ribs. Check out the Weis circular found in today’s Times Leader for some good coupons, too. Spend $25 at the grocer and use coupons to get free Top Care eight-ounce hand sanitizer, Weis ice cream for $1.49 and a savings pack of 90 percent lean ground beef for just $1.99 per pound. There’s also a coupon good today and tomorrow only that will get you a savings pack of porterhouse or T-Bone steaks for $5.88 per pound with a limit of five pounds.
• Wegmans has its club pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 per pound. Each pack has 10 pieces of chicken, the perfect grilling amount for a family of five.
• If you need cheese for those burgers on the grill, stop at Price Chopper with the coupon in the store’s circular found in today’s Times Leader. Use it to get $2 off a pound of Dietz & Watson deli cheese purchase.
If you’re travelling, you’ll need gas. Save money on that fill up by spending at least $75 at Price Chopper and using the coupons found in the store’s circular. One will get you 25 cents off per gallon of gas with a $75 purchase. The other will get you 50 cents off per gallon of gas when you spend $125 at the store in a single purchase.
Andrew M. Seder, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 570-829-7269. If you know of any local steals or deals, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @TLAndrewSeder for deals and news throughout the week.