Last updated: April 13. 2014 11:17PM - 1597 Views
By Jon O’Connell joconnell@civitasmedia.com



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

HANOVER TWP. — A neighbor walking past Ruth Hinson’s apartment Sunday morning in the Marion Terrace apartment complex saw smoke coming out of a second-floor window and quickly grabbed her boyfriend and a fire extinguisher.


Katelyn Peznowski said she didn’t see the flames, but her boyfriend put out the fire with the extinguisher. Neighbors around the scene said they believed the fire started in a suitcase in one bedroom.


“I did what I thought I should do,” Peznowski said. “We all kind of look out for each other around here.”


Peznowski’s boyfriend did not want his name to be printed in the newspaper.


No one was injured in the fire and Hanover Township Fire Department Captain Bill McDaniels said what sparked the flames is still to be determined. At this time, it is being considered accidental, McDaniels said.


Outside the apartment, firefighters and police examined a scorched mattress and suitcase that were splayed out on the lawn. The suitcase was filled with belongings.


Crews from Hanover Township Fire Department and Hanover Township Medic 9 were on the scene. They were dispatched just after 10:30 a.m. Sunday, as well as Hanover Township police officers.


By 11 a.m., crews were packing up hoses and checking the apartment for any traces of fire.


Hinson, who lives in the apartment with her son, said he was in the shower when the fire broke out.


“It was scary,” Hinson said. “If I wasn’t home, he would’ve burned up.”

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Mortgage Minute