FOSTER TWP. — State police are investigating the death of Ray Keiper, 61, of White Haven, after a crash Saturday along Owl Hole Road.
At approximately 3 p.m. a rider on all terrain vehicle saw that a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck with a person in the driver’s seat apparently struck a tree off the roadway. The rider contacted Luzerne County 911 and state police were notified.
State police, first responders and the county Coroner’s Office responded and arrived at approximately 3:35 p.m.
State police said, Keiper was traveling north on the gravel roadway. For, as of now, unknown reasons the truck went off roadway and into a group of trees, state police said.
Keiper’s foot remained firmly planted on the accelerator after impact, causing the tires to dug deeply into the dirt until the truck ran out of fuel, state police said. The crash did not appear to have been severe enough to cause the death.
The cause of death is pending the results of a pathological exam and testing, state police said.
WILKES-BARRE — Police said a 3-month-old was placed with Children and Youth Services after her mother and another man were arrested for allegedly shoplifting Friday night at the Home Depot on Spring Street.
Kayla Poluka and Nicholas Heryla, both of Emmaus, were charged with retail theft and criminal conspiracy, police said.
The store loss prevention officer told police that around 7:30 p.m. he saw Heryla taking items off the shelves and placing them into Poluka’s purse. She then put the items into her baby bag, the officer said.
The officer said he stopped Poluka, who was with her daughter, and Heryla separately after the alarm sounded as they attempted to leave the store. They were taken to police headquarters and the child was turned over to Children and Youth.
HAZLETON - Police reported the following:
• Reny Garcia Roque, 21, of Boundary Street, West Hazleton, was cited with disturbing the peace for loud music coming from his vehicle at the intersection of Broad and Wyoming streets at approximately 4:30 p.m. Saturday.
• Heather Hoffmaster, 22, of Pinetree Road, Hazleton, was taken into custody on a warrant for driving under the influence after she was stopped for traffic violation at 4:10 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of Wyoming and Birch streets. She also was cited with a stop sign violation and possession of drug paraphernalia.
• An HP Beats touch screen laptop computer and clothes were stolen during a burglary that occurred between 8 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. Saturday at a residence in the 100 block of West 21st Street.
• Sasha Roof, 26, of Hazleton, was cited with disorderly conduct after a disturbance at approximately 10:20 p.m. Friday in the 500 block of Wast Maple Street.
• A Nokia cellphone, serial number 355913059778394, was stolen Friday from a residence in the 500 block of Lafayette Court.
• Salvador Ortiz, 27, of Hazleton, was cited with harassment after a domestic dispute at approximately 4:30 a.m. Thursday in the 100 block of South Church Street.
• Zaine Mitchell, 33, of Hazleton, was cited with public drunkenness and disorderly conduct after a fight shortly after 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 600 block of McKinley Street.
• Copper wire, pipes and a water heater were taken during a burglary Monday at a vacant residence in the 200 block of East Tamarack Street.
HANOVER TWP. — Police reported the following:
• Holly Politz of Lee Park said a neighbor’s security camera showed two boys taking her son’s basketball hoop and backboard from her driveway on April 17. The hoop and backboard are valued at $100.
• Robert Redinski of Hanover Township said the left side of his Chevrolet Malibu was scratched sometime between April 20 and 21 while the car was parked in his driveway.