WILKES-BARRE — Would-be killer Joshua Ovalles will spend 20 to 40 years behind bars for shooting another man in the face last year.
Luzerne County Judge David W. Lupas on Tuesday handed down the sentence against Ovalles, 20, a Wilkes-Barre resident who was convicted of attempted homicide in May for a Jan. 9, 2013, gunfire attack on Michael Kubiak.
Ovalles also is awaiting a July 14 trial in a separate homicide case from last year, allegedly committed while he was free on $100,000 bail in the Kubiak case.
Police said Ovalles fired three rounds, striking Kubiak in the leg, chest and face while they were driving to buy heroin in the city.
Kubiak drove himself to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, where he was found stumbling in the parking lot. Police said Kubiak later identified Ovalles as his assailant based on a photo line-up shown to him.
In addition to the primary charge, a jury on May 14 also convicted Ovalles of aggravated assault, firearms not to be carried without a license and terroristic threats.
In the upcoming trial, Ovalles faces an open count of criminal homicide in the July 7 death of Vaughn Kemp, 24, outside 174 S. Grant St. Witnesses have said they saw Ovalles fire shots into the air. That case is scheduled to be heard before President Judge Thomas F. Burke Jr.
He faces up to life in prison if convicted in that case.