ASHLEY — A state police fire marshal said he does not believe someone maliciously started the blaze that claimed the life of an Ashley woman late Saturday night.
Kimberly Krakauski, 65, of 10 Green St. in Ashley, died in a fire that broke out around 11:30 p.m. Neighbors and family remembered the woman as quiet, but kind, who lived alone with her pets and possessed strong faith in God.
Following an autopsy today, the Luzerne County Coroner’s Office ruled Krakauski’s death an accident. The cause: carbon monoxide intoxication due to structure fire.
Emergency crews were on the scene into the early Sunday morning hours battling fire. Neighbors had tried to get Krakauski out of the house, but could not reach her in time. She was found on the first floor, neighbors said. Her aunt, Rose Krakowskiwho lives next door, believes her niece was trying to save her pets when she perished.
Fire Marshal Ronald Jarocha said there is more work to be done in the investigation, but the fire “does not appear to be suspicious.”
Note: A story about Krakauski’s death that appeared in today’s print edition misquoted Ashley Police Chief John Bell. On Sunday, Bell said the fire does not appear to be suspicious.