Friday, July 11, 2014

Tensions high at homicide hearing

Kenneth Evans III, 21, charged in fatally shooting woman at Sherman Hills

December 19. 2013 12:05AM

By -

Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle

WILKES-BARRE — Homicide suspect Kenneth Evans III glared at prosecutors and loved ones of the woman he allegedly killed, Shantique Goodson, at the Sherman Hills apartment complex two months ago.

The tension in district court Wednesday was too much for one spectator, who was ordered by District Judge Martin Kane removed from the courtroom and then the building,

After the emotionally charged hearing, Kane determined prosecutors established a case against Evans, 21, of South Sherman Street, Wilkes-Barre. He will face an open count of criminal homicide in Luzerne County Court.

Evans remains jailed at the county prison without bail.

Before the start of Evans’ preliminary hearing, Goodson’s family and friends and Evans’ supporters yelled while they sat feet apart. Kane issued a stern warning that anyone causing a disruption will be removed from the courtroom.

It didn’t take long, as Kane ordered police to remove a woman for an outburst toward Evans’ sister. Minutes later, her screams were heard through the double courtroom doors, prompting Kane to oust her from the building.

The hearing went on without any other disruptions as Evans repeatedly stared at assistant district attorneys Jarrett Ferentino and Jill Matthews-Lada and those who remained in the courtroom.

Evans’ stares appeared to have had an impact on an alleged eye witness who testified directly in front of him.

Jasmin Frazier calmly answered questions from Ferentino about what she allegedly witnessed when Goodson, 27, of Parkview Circle, Wilkes-Barre, and formerly of Rochester, N.Y.,was fatally shot at Sherman Hills on Nov. 11.

When Evans’ attorney John Pike asked Frazier questions, her mood abruptly changed, and so did her responses.

Frazier testified Goodson was seated in the passenger seat of a Jeep Cherokee driven by Tiara McDuffie, who stopped to talk to her about a dog. Frazier said Evans approached the Jeep and tried to open the passenger door.

“I heard Teeka (Goodson) say, ‘Didn’t we talk about this yesterday,’ and then Kenny (Evans) had a gun in his right hand and he reached in and fired twice,” Frazier testified.

Frazier said McDuffie drove away and Evans fired another round at the vehicle.

Frazier kept her head down and sunk in the witness chair as Pike, seated next to Evans, asked her questions. Her voice became much lower than when responding to questions from Ferentino.

“Did you see her get shot?” Pike asked.

“Yes, I did,” Frazier softly said.

Frazier said she ran back to her apartment in Sherman Hills and did not contact police. She said police found her, and she testified under a subpoena that was served on her.

County Coroner Bill Lisman said Goodson was initially treated at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital and transported to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, where she died in the emergency room. Lisman said an autopsy showed Goodson died from multiple gunshot wounds.

comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Mortgage Minute

Search for New & Used Cars

Used New All

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals

Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds