PLYMOUTH —A broken boiler at Wyoming Valley West High School that sent students home early with a 10 a.m. dismissal Thursday was repaired later in the afternoon, and classes were expected to resume as usual this morning.
High School Principal Erin Keating said the heat had come back on by 3:15 p.m. and that the system was going to be monitored through the night to make sure everything was working properly.
Problems at the school began Tuesday when the motor in a boiler stopped working. Staff got it running again, but it failed a second time that night. Suppon said the district found a new motor Wednesday and that it would be installed Thursday morning.
The initial plan was to hold classes Thursday morning, knowing that there would be cold spots in the building with one boiler down. In those cases students were allowed to wear coats, and space heaters were set up.
But the problem apparently got worse than expected and the students were dismissed early.
- Times Leader staff writer Travis Kellar contributed to this report.