WILKES-BARRE — A city bar that was the scene of a fatal drive-by shooting last year and the target of a raid last month won’t continue the legal fight to renew its license.
Documents filed in Commonwealth Court on Monday by attorney Brion Kelley discontinued the case of Outsiders Restaurant and Bar Inc.
A call to Kelley of Kingston was not returned on Friday.
In November he had appealed an order by Luzerne County Judge Lesa Gelb that affirmed the decision by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board not to renew the bar’s license. In early January license holder Louis Weihbrecht sought to have the bar open pending the appeal, but Gelb denied the request and Outsiders located on South Main Street closed.
The PLCB’s website Friday listed the license as inactive, meaning it no longer exists, agency spokesman Sean Kelly said Friday. The state agency opposed the license renewal a year ago and backed up its case with nearly two dozen violations filed against the bar since it opened in 2003.
In addition it had been fined $15,100 and shut down for a total of 32 days.
Pending the appeal the bar could serve food, but not alcohol. However, it was the focus of a month-long investigation of alcohol sales without a license and raided by state police Liquor Control Enforcement officers, Wilkes-Barre police and state Parole and Probation officers around 2:45 a.m. on Feb. 22.
Money and liquor were seized during the raid.
State police Sgt. Gary S. Severns, commander of the liquor control enforcement district office in Wilkes-Barre, said all indications are that the building was rented to a third party. The investigation is continuing, but no charges have been filed, he said.
Another criminal investigation is ongoing following the fatal shooting on Oct. 13 of Michael Onley, also known as DJ MO. He was shot while standing in the patio area of the bar. The 34-year-old Wilkes-Barre man later died at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, Plains Township.