PLAINS TWP. — The new facilities for the Wilkes-Barre Area Career & Technical Center Practical Nursing Program are taking longer to complete than expected, but staff and students are adjusting to using some alternate classroom space, the program’s director said Monday.
Space in Geisinger South Wilkes-Barre’s Medical Arts building is being used for two classrooms, while a third is being housed at the former St. Aloysius School, Director Mary Beth Pacuska said.
She said they were hoping to be in the new facility by this month, but due to normal construction delays, it won’t be ready until June and classes won’t begin there until next fall.
The regular meeting of the school’s Joint Operating Committee included approval for a number of expenses related to the construction project.
Payments totaling $189,270 were approved to Apollo Group Inc. for general contracting services. Payments totaling $47,146 were approved to Everon Electrical Contractors, while Bognet Inc. received $156,800 for HVAC and plumbing-related services.
Also approved was a payment for $5,925 to JMSI Environmental Group for asbestos abatement, $1,460 to St. Aloysius School for rentals fees, and three change orders, including $74,438 to Apollo Group, $454 to Bognet and $534 to Everon.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the purchase of Skyward financial software to replace a system that is no longer supported. First-year cost is $54,287 for the system with time clock, and $1,500 per year in years two and three.
• Approved payment of $806 to attorney Raymond Wendolowski and $600 to attorney John Dean.
• Approved a contract with Intermediate Unit 13 for Sophos anti-virus software at a cost of $2,400 from March 21, 2013 through March 20, 2016
• Approved a request to purchase 15 student work stations and one portable instructor station for the graphic arts program from Greene Manufacturing Inc., Chelsea, Mich., in the amount of $10,455.
• Added Megan Bartuka RN to the approved school nurse substitute list and Mark Lewis to the approved teacher substitute list.
• Approved entering into an agreement with RJM Systems Inc. for Sonisweb information management system and services at a cost of $15,000 for the first year, $6,800 for each of the next two years, a one-time set up fee of $3,000 and a yearly fee of $90 per student, which is included in student fees.