Sunday, July 13, 2014

Witness: Mom texted for help

COVER-UP TRIAL: Angelina DeAbreu got in touch with her after shooting, woman says

May 08. 2013 11:54PM

Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle

WILKES-BARRE — Angelina DeAbreu texted a friend on her cellphone shortly after Tyler Winstead was shot and killed on April 5, 2012.

DeAbreu needed a favor.

Tanya Wildes, of Mountain Top, testified on Wednesday DeAbreu asked her to contact other people about hiding a gun placed in the backyard of DeAbreu’s neighbor, Patrick Curry, on Hill Street in Wilkes-Barre.

Wildes’ testimony came in the second day of DeAbreu’s trial on charges she covered up the fatal shooting of 14-year-old Tyler Winstead. Testimony will continue this morning, Judge David Lupas said. DeAbreu, 31, now living with her parents in Stroudsburg after moving from her Hill Street, Wilkes-Barre, home where the shooting occurred, faces six charges.

Wildes said she asked her friend of five years whether DeAbreu’s son, Elijah Yusiff, 14, was involved in the shooting.

“Hell no!!” DeAbreu allegedly texted back.

Another witness, Stephanie Curry, testified Wednesday she was contacted by Wildes, a woman she did not know, sometime after the shooting. Wildes wanted to get in touch with Patrick Curry, her father, to discuss disposing of a gun.

Patrick Curry testified he believed the teenager was killed in a drive-by shooting until his daughter read him text messages received from Wildes.

Patrick Curry went into his backyard and saw a revolver wrapped up in a striped towel on a scrap metal pike he kept.

“I pushed it with my foot. I didn’t touch it or move it,” Curry said, noting the gun wasn’t there the following morning.

When asked why he didn’t immediately call police and waited 12 hours to report the gun being placed in his backyard, Curry said he was scared.

“I was never involved in anything like this before,” he said. “I thought I’d get in trouble.”

Wilkes-Barre Detective David Sobocinski testified he assisted in three searches at DeAbreu’s home in the days after the fatal shooting.

Police became suspicious of Yusiff’s story about Winstead being killed in a drive-by shooting after viewing the city’s video surveillance footage of the area after the shooting. Investigators could not locate a red Ford Taurus, a vehicle Yusiff said the alleged shooter drove away in.

Police also became suspicious when Yusiff described the alleged shooter as a thin, black man and described a different man in a police sketch.

Sobocinski said police located blood stains on carpets that were bleached, and blood on a wall at the bottom of a stairwell.

Police also recovered a .22-caliber bullet at the bottom of the steps and a half-used gallon of bleach.

Blood on the wall was tested and determined to be Winstead’s, Sobocinski testified. Two other stains were undetermined because bleach had been used.

In one of the searches, a safe the gun had been kept in was found at Yusiff’s uncle’s home in New Jersey, Sobocinski said.

comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Mortgage Minute

Search for New & Used Cars

Used New All

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals

Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds