Sunday, July 13, 2014





Man wanted Mich., facing trial in Luzerne County released on bail


July 24. 2013 11:57PM

By - elewis@civitasmedia.com






Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


WILKES-BARRE — A Mountain Top man captured last week on a fugitive warrant charging him with child sex crimes in Michigan was released from jail on Wednesday after Luzerne County Judge Lisa Gelb modified his bail.


Authorities in Detroit, Mich., were scheduled to take custody of David Zarn, 46, on Friday to take him to Wayne County, Mich., where he is charged with eight counts of criminal sexual contact involving two girls. He also faces a number of charges in Luzerne County relating to the sexual assault of two girls.


Zarn’s attorney, Joseph Sklarosky Sr., filed a petition around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday to modify Zarn’s bail of $100,000.


“David Zarn is innocent of all these charges both in Pennsylvania and Michigan and intends to vigorously defend against such false charges,” Sklarosky wrote. Sklarosky stated the charges were “vicious and bogus.”


The attorney stated one of the girls had been disciplined for conduct between her and her boyfriend, so the girl fabricated the sexual assault claim. Gelb also recently ruled that that information would be permitted to be introduced at Zarn’s November trial.


A hearing was scheduled by Judge Thomas Burke for noon before Gelb shortly after Sklarosky filed the petition with a short notice given to the District Attorney’s Office. First Assistant District Attorney Samuel Sanguedolce appeared at the hearing.


Gelb reduced Zarn’s bail to $50,000, an amount Zarn was able to post through Michael Smith Bail Bonds. The judge said Zarn must wear an electronic monitor and have no contact with minors.


Sklarosky wrote that Zarn owns a home in Wright Township, has complied with the conditions of his previous bail, is not a flight risk and is under “severe financial strain.” Zarn will have to meet bail and defense obligations in Michigan and having Zarn released on bail would allow him to go to Michigan and secure counsel there, Sklarosky’s petition stated.


Prosecutors said they could not comment on the hearing Wednesday.


Arrest warrants by Detroit police issued on May 7 allege Zarn sexually assaulted two girls for several years in the mid-to late 2000s.


Wright Township police and county detectives arrested Zarn on the fugitive warrants from Michigan on July 15.


Separately, court records state Wright Township police and county detectives charged Zarn in October after two girls, ages 16 and 14, said he sexually assaulted them inside his Mountain Top home.




Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds