Locally owned music stores in NEPA are getting in on the Black Friday game this year with help from the folks behind Record Store Day, an event that usually takes place in April and offers exclusive releases for music fans.
It's different when it's a $500 TV going for $200, but I don't think a $9 CD for $6 is going to get everybody as excited as it could, Joe Nardone Jr. of Joe Nardone's Gallery of Sound said. With the Record Store Day exclusives we've got something you can't buy anywhere else, making your local record shop another stop during that day.
About 45 new titles will be released, including everything from classic rock to hip hop. The form of many of these limited-release tunes recalls the old days.
Lots of vinyl, R.J. Herrington, owner of Embassy Vinyl in Scranton, said. It's one of those things that never really went away because people that collected it are always going to collect it. It seems to catch on more and more as the years go by. It's not like MP3s or CDs where it's disposable. It's more personable. You have to physically put the record on your player, turn it over; it's more active in your listening.
Some of today's vinyl releases include:
• 10-inch Beach Boys Surfin' Safari
• 10-inch red Gaslight Anthem Hold You Up
• 10-inch green Primus Green Naugahyde 10
• 7-inch Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones (EP)
• 7-inch Donny Hathaway and CeeLo Green This Christmas
• Three 7-inch White Stripes releases, Fell in Love With A Girl and I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground and Stop Breaking Down, and Hotel Yorba and Rated X, both live at the Hotel Yorba
All Joe Nardone's locations, Embassy Vinyl and Musical Energi of Wilkes-Barre will have other sales throughout the day as well, but Energi is relying on Facebook to drive its Black Friday business.
People can go to facebook.com/musicalenergi and watch all day, because I'll be posting deals throughout, owner Jay Notartomaso said.
To see a complete list of Black Friday exclusives from Record Store Day, visit www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases.
Joe Nardone's Gallery of Sound, 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
• Fashion Mall (Across from Viewmont Mall), Dickson City, 969-0778.
• 186 Mundy St., Wilkes-Barre, 208-2833.
• South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre, 826-6898.
• Laurel Mall Strip Center #3, Hazleton, 459-1093.
Embassy Vinyl, 342 Adams Ave., Scranton. 341-9350. 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Musical Energi, 59 North Main St., Wilkes-Barre. 829-2929. 11 a.m.-6 p.m.