Saturday, July 12, 2014





AP: FL man choked to death in roach-eating contest


February 19. 2013 7:11PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released Monday concluded.


Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents, according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office.


Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.


Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.


Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.


Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.


About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds