There's nothing that says family time quite like trudging into the woods and cutting a tree for the living room. The pine smell of a real one is unmatched and easy to achieve given the various farms in the area. For many it's not just about seeking the tree, but enjoying a fun holiday atmosphere in the process.
• Helen and Ed's Tree Farm, 3758 St. Mary's Road, Wapwallopen. This 220-acre farm in Dorrance Township offers Blue, Norway, White and Serbian Spruce, Hemlock, and Fraser among others. 868-6252.
Hours: Mondays through Sundays, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Daniels' Christmas Trees: 1214 Marcy Road, Harding There are tons of trees to choose from and if you can't cut it right on the spot don't worry – it can be tagged and reserved until Dec. 21, free of charge. 388-6324.
Hours: Fridays through Sundays., 9 a.m. to dark.
• Roba Family Farms, 230 Decker Road, North Abington Township: It's a one-stop holiday destination where, if you come at just the right time, the big guy in red will be present for the little ones. 563-2904. Call for Santa's hours.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Beezup Christmas Tree Farm, 14079 Upper Maple Drive, Clarks Summit: Cut it yourself or have them cut it for you. Trees are $6 a foot. 587- 4819.
Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m daily.
• The BriarPatch at Thornhurst Nurseries, 239 Pine Grove Road, Thornhurst: Take a break from the chill and grab some potential Christmas presents when you stop in the Christmas Gift Shop. 842-8072.
Hours: Monday-Friday noon to 5 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.