HOUSTON, TX — To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the last meal on the Titanic, a Houston restaurant is recreating the ten-course dinner served to first-class passengers on that fateful night. The Cullen's Titanic Experience, which includes dinner for 12 people, will be offered for $12,000 inclusive. The meal will be served in the elegant atmosphere of Macy's Table, an exclusive private dining area dramatically suspended from the ceiling above Cullen's main dining room.
To conclude the four hour dinner, guests will sample a bottle of Armagnac brandy from 1900, which would have been the same vintage enjoyed by the Titanic passengers.
Cullen's Executive Chef Paul Lewis has conducted extensive research for this landmark hospitality project.
"You have to appreciate what has gone before and show respect for the past," Lewis says. "At the same time, I am putting my own spin on things and making the menu suit modern diners." For Instance, the English-born Lewis explains, "We will bring the portions down to a more manageable level for contemporary diners."
The First-Class Menu As served in the first-class dining salon of RMS Titanic on April 14, 1912 And interpreted by Cullen's on April 14, 2012
• Hors D'oeuvres Oysters ala Russe Canapes a l'Amiral
• 1st Course Consomme Olga Port Wine & Beef Consomme/ Maine Scallops/ Parsley/ Celeriac
• 2nd Course Poached Scottish Salmon/ Sauce Mousseline/ Cucumber/ Caviar/ Chives
•3rd Course Filet Medallions Lilli Seared Foie Gras/ Pomme Anna/ Artichokes/ Truffles/ Sauce Perigueux
Chicken Saute Sauce Lyonnais/ Stuffed Zucchini
• 4th Course Roast Rack of Lamb/ Mint Sauce Roast Duck/ Apple Puree Sirloin of Beef/ Pomme Chateaux
Buttered Green Peas/ Creamed Carrots Rice Pilaf/ Pomme Parmentier / Boiled New Potatoes
• 5th Course Punch Romaine
• 6th Course Roast Pennsylvania Squab/ Water Cress/ Herbed Croute/ Bread Sauce/ Game Chips
• 7th Course Chilled Asparagus Vinaigrette/ Salad Frisee/ Oranges/ Radish
• 8th Course Pate de Foie Gras/ Celery Salad/ Toasted Brioche/ Sauterne Jelly
• 9th Course Waldorf Pudding Poached Hill Country Peaches/ Chartreuse Jelly Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs French Vanilla Ice Cream
• 10th Course Selection of Texas Cheese/ Fresh Seasonal Tree & Vine Ripened Fruit
Cullen's is one of Houston's premier dining establishments, featuring handcrafted American cuisine. For more information, visit www.cullenshouston.com or call 281-991-2000.