HANOVER TWP. – Commissioners unanimously voted to extend the Keystone Opportunity Zone to a tract of land just off the Hanover Industrial Park.
Commissioners said at Wednesday night's meeting that the move will help attract more business and without designating the area as a tax-free zone, the land would probably never be developed. It will be tax free until 2022.
Commissioner Frank Ciavarella said with the economy poor and new revenue hard to find, he didn't like to approve any areas as tax free. But it will ultimately benefit Hanover Township, he said.
In other business, the commissioners:
• Approved a payment of $140,548 to Anrich Inc. for work on the Truesdale Terrace and Witinski's Villa sewer project.
• Approved a motion to advertise for 25,000 gallons of unleaded fuel and 15,000 gallons of diesel fuel for 2013.
• Approved a payment of $146,946 to the non-uniformed pension plan and $56,892 to the police pension plan.
• Said they will hold meetings to discuss the 2013 budget at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 18 and 25.
• Moved the December work session to 6:30 pm with the regular meeting to follow at 7 p.m. on Dec. 17.
Said there will be a Halloween party for the children of Hanover Township at the municipal building on Oct. 31 from 3-5 pm. The party will be paid for by the commissioners and all children who attend will receive a bag of candy.
Budget meetings are scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 18 and 25