Thursday, July 10, 2014





McElroy out; Jets turn to Sanchez


February 19. 2013 11:52PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle



FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The New York Jets' wacky quarterback situation took yet another twist.


Greg McElroy has a concussion — which he didn't reveal until Thursday — and will be replaced by Mark Sanchez as the New York Jets' starting quarterback in the season finale at Buffalo on Sunday.


Coach Rex Ryan walked into his news conference before practice, took the podium and opened with: You're not going to believe this.


McElroy, preparing to make his second NFL start in place of the benched Sanchez, was lifting weights Thursday morning and started experiencing headaches, Ryan said. McElroy went to the team's training staff and then revealed he was suffering concussion-like symptoms after being sacked 11 times in the Jets' 27-17 loss to San Diego last Sunday.


McElroy and head trainer John Mellody then went to Ryan to tell the coach the news.


We come to find out that Greg wasn't exactly truthful with our training staff after the game, said Ryan, who acknowledged he was stunned to hear it. He never disclosed that he had symptoms after the game to our trainers. Right now, he's being evaluated for a concussion.


Ryan said there was no way he would play McElroy against the Bills and the third-stringer will definitely be out. McElroy had been listed on the injury report Wednesday with a mild abdominal strain, but was a full participant in practice and was expected to play without any issues.



Source: QB Newton fined for abusive conduct


CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A person familiar with the penalty says the NFL has fined Panthers quarterback Cam Newton $21,000 for abusive conduct toward a game official.


The person spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity because the league hasn't announced the fine.


Newton shouted at and bumped referee Jerome Boger in the fourth quarter of Carolina's penalty-plagued 17-6 victory over the Oakland Raiders on Sunday.


Newton apologized after the game, saying the words that I said during the game were very disrespectful and I apologized to (Boger) during the game, but I'm going public and apologizing again. It was something in the heat of the moment.


Boger said he didn't feel the bump was enough to warrant an ejection because it wasn't of a malicious nature.



LeBeau intends on returning to Steelers in 2013 season

PITTSBURGH — Armed with a promise from his beloved defensive coordinator that he wouldn't retire without first informing his players, Ryan Clark threatened to avoid Dick LeBeau.


Clark needn't worry. The 75-year-old LeBeau has every intention of returning in 2013 for what would be a 55th consecutive season in the NFL.


LeBeau opened his first meeting of the week with his defense by telling the players he'll come back for a 10th season as Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator.


LeBeau, a Hall of Famer, publicly will only say his status is in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. But with the defense ranked No. 1 in the NFL for the second consecutive season and fifth time in nine years, there's little reason to think Tomlin would make a change.




Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds