Friday, July 11, 2014





Portuguese TV blames news chief for police access


February 19. 2013 7:31PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


(AP) Portugal's state broadcaster is blaming its head of news for allowing police to privately view raw footage captured during violent clashes with anti-austerity protesters outside Parliament earlier this month.


The revelation that the police had access to the footage has prompted concerns about the safety of journalists as well as the broadcaster's independence. It remains unclear whether any laws were broken.


After an internal inquiry, Radio e Televisao de Portugal says Wednesday that its news chief Nuno Santos granted police permission to watch the footage on company premises the day after Nov. 14 protests.


Santos resigned last week but has denied the allegation.


The Interior Ministry, which oversees the police, says there are legal doubts about whether investigating officers acted properly and has asked the Attorney-General to open an urgent investigation.


Associated Press


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds