Last updated: February 20. 2013 1:12AM - 129 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

NEW YORK – Rafael Soriano still is looking for a job, but the Yankees rejected agent Scott Boras' overtures about potentially bringing the free agent reliever back on a one-year deal.


Soriano saved 42 games last year for the Yanks, which prompted the right-hander to opt out of the remaining one year and $14 million on his contract.


The Yankees made a $13.3 million qualifying offer (rejected by Soriano) in order to secure a draft pick from the club that signs him. The Yankees aren't in the market for a reliever; general manager Brian Cashman said recently that he's focused on adding an outfielder and a designated hitter, preferably right-handed hitters.


On Monday, catcher Francisco Cervelli was examined in Tampa, Fla., and cleared to return to the Venezuelan Winter League after suffering a neck injury likened to a whiplash effect.


All is good, Cashman said via text.


Cervelli, Austin Romine and Chris Stewart are due to compete for the starting catching job in spring training.


Berkman to Rangers

ARLINGTON, Texas — Lance Berkman chose the Texas Rangers this time, and is returning to his home state to be their designated hitter in likely the last stop of his career.


The Rangers completed a $10 million, one-year deal with Berkman, 36, on Monday after the slugger passed a physical.


There is a $12 million club option for 2014 that becomes a guaranteed $13 million deal if he has 550 plate appearances this season. There is also a $1 million buyout for the second year.


Berkman provides the potential big bat for the middle of the lineup the Rangers were seeking after losing slugger Josh Hamilton in free agency and trading Michael Young to Philadelphia. Mike Napoli remains a free agent, but isn't expected to return to Texas.

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Mortgage Minute