BERWICK: The North Anthracite Council — League of Ukrainian Catholics will meet Aug. 26 at Ezzyk's Farm in Berwick. The outdoor Moleben prayer service "under the trees" will be at 2 p.m. with the business session at 2:30 p.m. The traditional summer picnic will follow.
The upcoming LUC national convention scheduled for Oct. 12-14 at the Ramada Inn, Wilkes-Barre, will be discussed.
All members and their families are invited. New members are welcome.
For additional information, contact Dorothy Jamula, president, 822-5354.
MOUNTAIN TOP: St. Paul's Lutheran Church has announced the following:
• Orders for hoagies from St. Paul's Hoagie Gang should be made by Sunday. They need to be picked up on Aug. 16. Cost is $3.50 each. The sign-up sheet is on the narthex bulletin board.
• St. Paul's Book of Faith Bible Study group will meet at 7 p.m. Aug. 20.
• The Luzerne County Chapter of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is sponsoring a Washington, D.C., bus trip on Sept. 6. The bus will leave Hazleton/Mountain Top at 6 a.m. and arrive home at 11 p.m. The group will visit monuments, as time permits, with a stop at the Smithsonian, and leave D.C. promptly at 6 p.m. Cost is $20 for Thrivent members and $40 non-Thrivent members. Those interested should contact Pastor Michele or Karen Ann Kowalczyk, 459-0501.
PLAINS TWP.: The Women's Society of SS. Peter and Paul Church will meet at 8 a.m. Aug. 19 to recite the rosary and attend the 8:30 a.m. Mass.
On Aug. 20, the group will meet at 7 p.m. in the parish center. Rosalie Pudmanski and B.J. Hession will be hostesses.
All women of the parish are invited to join. There are still seats available for the retreat and reservations are being taken for the communion breakfast.
This month the circle of prayer is for men and women serving our country. The Rev. Joseph Ryskiewicz is pastor and moderator of the society.
WILKES-BARRE: The Feast of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos will be observed at Holy Resurrection Orthodox Cathedral, 591 N. Main St., with the following services:
• Aug. 14, 6 p.m. vespers with the blessing of wheat, wine and oil, blessing of flowers and placing of icon of the Dormition into the decorated grave for veneration; 7 p.m., Akathist for the Dormition and procession with the icon.
• Aug. 15, 9 a.m. Divine Liturgy; blessing of flowers.