First Posted: 9/8/2013
It’s not often a defensive player gets to score a touchdown.
It’s even rarer that one does and doesn’t feel like he had a good game.
Kansas City outside linebacker Tambi Hali (05) intercepted a Blaine Gabbert screen pass in the fourth quarter Sunday and returned 10 yards for a touchdown to help the Chiefs seal a 28-2 victory over the Jaguars.
Hali told the Topeka Capital-Journal that he felt like the “struggled” against the Jaguars because he didn’t record any of the Chiefs’ six sacks.
“I feel like I struggled,” Hali said. “When I don’t get a sack, I feel like I’ve struggled. At least my partner (Justin Houston) got three of them. That’s pretty big, too.”
Hali also had two tackles.
Here’s how the other Penn Staters in the NFL fared in Week 1.
• Dallas linebacker Sean Lee (09) had four solo tackles and an assist against the New York Giants in the Sunday night game. Lee’s biggest play of the game may have been his final one. He recovered an onside kick that kept the Giants from having a shot at a Hail Mary to win the game. He received a game ball from the NBC crew that was broadcasting the game for his efforts. Lee’s former Penn State teammate didn’t have as good a night. Giants linebacker Dan Connor (07) had a tackle and an assist but was forced to leave the game during the first half.
• Against the Chiefs, Jaguars linebacker Paul Posluszny (06) had 10 tackles.
• Miami Dolphins’ defensive end Cameron Wake (04) had 2 1/2 sacks and two additional tackles for loss in the Dolphins’ 23-10 victory over the Browns. Defensive lineman Jared Odrick (09) had one tackle.
• Chicago Bears place kicker Robbie Gould (04) had hit on his only field goal attempt of the day — a 58-yarder — against the Bengals. He also was a perfect 3-for-3 on extra points. Defensive lineman Devon Still (11) saw action in the game for the Bengals but did not record a tackle.
• Defensive lineman Jordan Hill sat out the Seahawks opener at Carolina with a bicep injury.
• San Francisco 49ers linebacker NaVarro Bowman (09) started against the Green Bay Packers and recorded two tackles in the 49ers’ 34-28 victory. San Francisco linebacker Nate Stupar (11) was inactive. Tight End Andrew Quarless (09) saw action for Green Bay but did not catch a pass.
• Minnesota Vikings linebackers Gerald Hodges (12) and Michael Mauti (12) were both inactive against the Detroit Lions.
• Pittsburgh receiver Derek Moye (11) played but did not have a reception in the Steelers’ 16-9 loss to Tennessee.
• Matt McGloin (12) was inactive for the Oakland Raiders opener in Indianapolis. Meanwhile, Raiders defensive lineman Jack Crawford (11) had a tackle and Stefen Wisniewski (10) was at his usual position, starting at center.
• Arizona Cardinals left tackle Levi Brown (06) started in the Cardinals’ 27-24 loss to the Rams.
• On Thursday night, offensive lineman A.Q. Shipley (11) saw action for the Baltimore Ravens against Denver.
• San Diego Chargers linemen Johnnie Troutman (11) and Rich Orhnberger (08) and Washington Redskins running back Evan Royster (10) are in action in games tonight.