WILKES-BARRE — A homeless man who faced a trial on an open count of criminal homicide in the beating death of a Kingston man inside a Wilkes-Barre house pleaded guilty to third-degree murder in Luzerne County Court on Friday.
Sean “Juice” Talmadge, 33, pleaded guilty to the murder charge before President Judge Richard M. Hughes.
Prosecutors withdrew a single count of abuse of corpse against Talmadge, who had been facing a jury trial set to begin next month.
Talmadge was charged after the badly decomposed body of Ramon Torres was discovered in the basement of 442 S. Franklin St. in the city on June 20.
Torres had been missing since April 24 when Bianca Maldonado, the mother of his child, reported she had not seen him for several days. Maldonado last saw Torres on April 22 in the area of Coal Street Park, Wilkes-Barre, where she found his backpack and thought it was suspicious, the Times Leader reported June 23, 2017.
Kingston police received a tip that led to the discovery of Torres’ body in the house after a witness came forward with information.
That witness was hanging out with Talmadge in late April and came across Torres. Talmadge and Torres were arguing throughout the day and purchased a bottle of liquor at a Wine and Spirits store on South Main Street in Wilkes-Barre. They then went to the South Franklin Street house where the two men continued to argue.
When Torres realized he left his backpack at Coal Street Park, he wanted to leave but was struck by Talmadge, the report stated.
The report stated Talmadge assaulted Torres in the basement before stabbing him in the stomach and neck multiple times. Talmadge told the witness he was not leaving until Torres was dead.
Hughes said Talmadge will be sentenced July 16.