Victim dies from injuries suffered in Hanover Twp. hit-and-run crash

By Ed Lewis - [email protected]
Hernandez, left, and Mangino -

HANOVER TWP. — A 59-year-old Hanover Township man hospitalized since he was struck in a hit-and-run crash on Oxford Street last month has died.

The Luzerne County Coroner’s Office said Peter Mangino died Wednesday at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. He had been on life support since the hit-and-run April 21.

An autopsy performed Thursday by forensic pathologist Dr. Gary Ross revealed Mangino died from multiple traumatic injuries.

Coroner William Lisman listed the manner of Mangino’s death a homicide.

Mangino was struck by what township police said was a Ford Mustang allegedly driven by Emiliano Hernandez, 46, of Woodbury Street, Hanover Township, at Oxford and Luzerne streets.

Police found the Mustang parked at Peter’s Garage on Holland Street in Wilkes-Barre on April 23.

While police were inspecting the Ford at the repair garage, Hernandez was inside the building.

Police said Hernandez surrendered as a search warrant was being prepared to seize the damaged convertible.

Hernandez was charged with two counts of accidents involving death and a single count of driving without a license. He has been jailed at the county correctional facility for lack of $100,000 bail.

It was not immediately known if police plan to charge Hernandez with additional offenses, including homicide by vehicle, due to Mangino’s death.

Hanover Township Police Chief Al Walker could not be reached for comment Thursday afternoon.

Mangino was struck outside PT’s Late Night Bar at about 9 p.m. Witnesses told investigators the vehicle that hit him and fled was a white Ford Mustang.

Police got a break in the investigation when Wilkes-Barre officers received an anonymous tip that a white Mustang was at Peter’s Garage.

According to Hernandez’s arrest papers:

Police spoke to the garage owner, Pedro Hernandez, who claimed his brother, Carlos Hernandez, owns the vehicle. Pedro Hernandez told police the Mustang had not been driven for months.

But police spotted fresh damage on the Mustang, including a cracked windshield and a missing passenger-side mirror.

A side mirror recovered at the scene appeared to come from the Mustang.

After Emiliano Hernandez surrendered, he told police he was working at the garage and wanted to go home to see his children. His residence on Woodbury Street is off Oxford Street.

Emiliano Hernandez said he turned from Lee Park Avenue onto Oxford Street, noticing a man on a sidewalk near the tavern.

Emiliano Hernandez claimed he didn’t think the person would step off the sidewalk. He wanted to stop but panicked and continued to drive away.

Witnesses told police the driver was traveling at a high rate of speed.

Hernandez, left, and Mangino, left, and Mangino

By Ed Lewis

[email protected]