Court Briefs


Relief hearing continued

in Sherman Hills homicide

WILKES-BARRE — A convicted murderer is asking the courts for possible relief from his life sentence.

Kenneth Malik Evans III, 26, was convicted in 2014 in connection with the shooting death of Shantique “Teeka” Goodson.

In November 2013, prosecutors say Evans shot Goodson while she sat in the passenger seat of a vehicle in a Sherman Hills apartment complex lot.

Court records show Evans filed for post-conviction relief in July of last year.

Evans was set to have his first hearing Thursday in front of Luzerne County Judge Michael T. Vough.

However, Vough granted a motion for continuance filed by Evans’ attorney, Jeffrey A. Yelen.

According to Yelen, Evans had had issues with getting to the law library at SCI Rockview, and had not been able to adequately prepare.

Vough is allowing the defense 45 days to file supplemental records, with prosecutors then having 30 days to respond. He will schedule another hearing by order at a later date.

Evans is asking for relief under Pennsylvania’s Post Conviction Relief Act, which is an indirect method of appeal available on certain grounds.

Man sentenced on string of charges

WILKES-BARRE — A Hanover Township man has been sentenced for his role in a slew of burglaries and other crimes.

Ryan Edward Rydzfski, 30, received a total of 10 to 23 months in prison, but Rydzfski was released to begin parole as he had received credit for time served matching the minimum sentences.

Luzerne County Judge Joseph F. Sklarosky Jr. also sentenced Rydzfski to an aggregated 62 months on probation, which will be served consecutive to 24 months of probation he has almost completed.

Rydzfski was implicated in a series of burglaries with Donald James Thomas III. The two were accused of burglarizing houses in Pittston.

Rydzfski was also accused of stealing gift cards from Dragon’s Den Tattoo in Kingston and selling them at a reduced cost.

He was facing numerous counts, including theft by unlawful taking, criminal trespass, retail theft, forgery, and theft by deception. Some of those charges were later withdrawn by prosecutors.

Rydzfski will also be forced to pay tens of thousands in reparations to his various victims.

Co-defendant Thomas was previously sentenced to five to 10 years in state prison.

— By Patrick Kernan