ASHLEY — Three pets were killed in a fire at a single-family home here Wednesday, the fire chief says.
The blaze broke out at 86 S. Main St. at about 6:15 p.m.
Officials said no one was home at the time and no one was hurt.
The left rear of the house seemed to sustain the heaviest damage. On that side of the residence, siding was blackened with soot and three windows were broken. Through the windows, fire damage could be seen inside.
Ashley Fire Chief Wes Saltz said the home is salvageable.
“The fire was mostly contained to the kitchen area with a little bit of extension to the dining room,” said Saltz. However, there was smoke damage throughout the house.
Right now, officials believe the fire was accidental. But Saltz said a state police fire marshal will be called in to investigate.
The pets killed included two dogs and a cat, the chief noted.
He said two adults and a child lived at the home, which is at the corner of Wyoming Street and across South Main from the Earth Conservancy office and a small park. The Red Cross was contacted to help the family.
County property records show the home is owned by Kevin Katchik and Nicole Tarutis.
The main part of the blaze was knocked down in about five minutes, Saltz added.
Fire police had traffic blocked at South Main and Hazleton streets for more than an hour.
Firefighters from Hanover Township, Nanticoke and Sugar Notch assisted Ashley crews at the scene.