WAYMART – A Wayne County man is dead after he attempted to light a cigarette while using an oxygen delivery system, according to state police.
Douglas Raymond, 56, of Waymart, was pronounced dead late Saturday night.
According to a police report:
Raymond attempted to light a cigarette while using a nasal cannula oxygen delivery device, which was attached to his face and had oxygen flowing.
The flame from the lighter and the oxygen combined to start a flash fire, causing burns to Raymond’s face and upper respiratory system. A small fire also started on the floor when rubber from the nasal cannula device melted and fell to the carpet. That fire burned out on its own.