Mother, grandmother charged with endangering toddler

By Ed Lewis - [email protected]
Moore and Hubbard -

NANTICOKE — City police on Wednesday charged a Nanticoke mother and grandmother with endangering a toddler who was left unsupervised and found wandering the streets and hanging out a window, according to court papers.

Police allege Tatiana Iesha Denise Moore, 20, and her mother, Trisella Denise Hubbard, 42, of West Main Street, failed to supervise Moore’s 2-year-old boy, who was found wearing only a diaper in the streets April 17 and May 16.

Police further allege the toddler was hanging out a second-floor window of their residence May 16.

It is the second time Moore has been charged with endangering a child.

Court records say Moore was sentenced in November by Luzerne County Judge Michael Vough to 12 months in the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program, a special probationary sentence for first-time, non-violent offenders. That case included charges of endangering the welfare of children, disorderly conduct, driving without a license and failure to secure a child in a safety seat.

It stemmed from a traffic stop by Plymouth police in October 2016, where an officer spotted an approximate 1-year-old in Moore’s vehicle not secured in a safety seat. Moore shoved the 1-year-old several times as the toddler struck his head against the passenger-side door, court records say.

According to the criminal complaint filed Wednesday:

Moore’s 2-year-old was wearing only a diaper when he was found by a passerby near the curb in the area of West Main and Slope streets April 17. The passerby secured the child and called police.

While officers responded, Moore emerged from her house and retrieved her child.

The incident prompted an investigation by Luzerne County Children & Youth, which established a safety plan for the child. The plan called for Hubbard to be the responsible person to supervise the toddler.

Less than a month later on May 16, police responded to two incidents involving the toddler.

A passerby traveling on Slope Street spotted the boy, wearing only a diaper, standing in the middle of the road. The driver had to swerve to avoid striking the child. The passerby secured the child and drove to city police headquarters when she was not able to find the child’s guardians or parents in the area.

Police located Moore and Hubbard at their residence and both did not realize the toddler was missing from the house.

Later the same day at 2:45 p.m., police returned to the house on a report a toddler was hanging out a second-floor window.

Child caseworkers were at the house and stood beneath the window where the toddler was spotted.

Hubbard claimed to be washing dishes on the first floor, and Moore was reportedly in a bathroom.

Moore and Hubbard were arraigned by District Judge Donald Whittaker in Nanticoke on one count of endangering the welfare of children. They were jailed at the county correctional facility for lack of $75,000 bail each.

Moore and Hubbard and Hubbard

By Ed Lewis

[email protected]