Police: Man refused to leave Turkey Hill bathroom stall

By Ed Lewis - [email protected]
Battle -

WILKES-BARRE — City police arrested a man after he allegedly spent more than one hour in a Turkey Hill restroom stall.

But Timothy Kalief Battle, 39, had an excuse: He fell asleep on the toilet.

Nonetheless, police charged Battle, listed as homeless, with defiant trespass, false identification to law enforcement and disorderly conduct.

According to the criminal complaint:

A store employee at the Turkey Hill store on North Pennsylvania Avenue called police just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday for a man refusing to leave a restroom.

The employee claimed the man, identified as Battle, was in a stall in the men’s room for more than one hour and refused to leave.

An officer opened the restroom door and told Battle he needed to leave immediately. The officer waited 10 minutes before calling for a second officer to assist at the scene.

The two officers entered the men’s room and instructed Battle to leave.

Battle allegedly replied, “I’m wiping my a**” and remained in the stall. He claimed he fell asleep on the toilet.

Police said it appeared Battle was listening to voicemail messages on a cell phone while in the stall.

Battle was told through the stall door he was the subject of a police investigation, as he allegedly provided a different date of birth to identify himself.

When Battle emerged from the stall, he stated he had to wash his hands.

Battle stood at the sink for a length of time washing his hands and continuously took paper towels from the dispenser drying his hands for more than 60 seconds when told he needed to leave.

Police arrested Battle when he refused to leave the restroom after repeated commands.

Battle was arraigned by District Judge Joseph Carmody in Luzerne County Central Court and jailed at the county correctional facility for lack of $2,500 bail.

Court records say Battle was sentenced in December to one year probation on an unrelated resisting arrest charge in connection to refusing to leave a porch of a residence in the 100 block of Lockhart Street, Wilkes-Barre, on Oct. 21.


By Ed Lewis

[email protected]