WILKES-BARRE — An autopsy is scheduled Friday on a man who died following a shooting at the Sherman Hills apartment complex Wednesday night.
Luzerne County Coroner William Lisman identified the victim as 32-year-old Devon Clive Stevens Jr.
Lisman said Stevens’ address is Miami, Fla. However, court records list his address as 713 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre.
City police earlier Thursday incorrectly identified the victim as Devon “Johnny” Thomas.
Police found Stevens with multiple gunshot wounds to the body outside Building 308 at about 10:21 p.m. Stevens was transported to Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center where he died shortly after arrival, police said.
No charges have been filed.
Police suspect Stevens was involved in an argument with one or more people inside a dark colored vehicle. As the argument escalated, a person in the vehicle pulled out a firearm and fired multiple rounds striking Stevens, who collapsed in front of the apartment building.
Troopers with the state police Forensic Services Unit processed the scene late Wednesday into Thursday morning. Detectives with the Luzerne County district attorney’s office are assisting with the investigation.
Any witnesses or anyone with any information concerning the shooting is asked to contact the Wilkes-Barre Police Detective Division at at 570-208-4222 and ask for either Det. Casey or Det. Harding.
Court records say an arrest warrant was issued for Stevens on Oct. 5, when city police charged him with drug trafficking offenses.
In another case, Stevens was paroled from state prison in 2016 while serving a 15- to 30-month sentence on a firearm offense in Hanover Township, according to court records.
Building 308 at Sherman Hills has been the scene of shootings, stabbings and drug arrests in recent years.
A brief history:
• May 31, 2015: Police recovered evidence of a shooting in a hallway. While officers were at the scene, a 20-year-old man arrived at a hospital to be treated for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound he received inside the apartment building.
• Aug. 21, 2014: Multiple shell casings and bullet holes were found in a hallway and apartment doors.
• Dec. 27, 2013: Two people were shot inside an apartment and both traveled to a hospital in New Jersey to be medically treated to avoid prosecution in Luzerne County. Police served a search warrant, finding evidence of a shooting, marijuana and ecstasy.
• Dec. 4, 2013: Two people were arrested after a handgun was discharged inside a second-floor apartment. The round passed through the floor and nearly struck a girl who was sleeping in a first-floor apartment.
• Nov. 25, 2013: A 22-year-old woman was arrested on charges she stabbed a 28-year-old woman in a hallway.