WILKES-BARRE TWP. — Local authorities have issued a traffic advisory for Thursday’s rally at the Mohegan Sun Arena featuring President Donald Trump.
Trump will be at the arena to campaign for his friend, U.S. Rep. Lou Barletta, who is running for the U.S. Senate against two-term Democratic incumbent Bob Casey.
During the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump held two rallies at the arena attended by more than 10,000. A similar crowd is expected this time.
Barletta, 62, of Hazleton, hopes the president’s appearance will give his campaign a huge lift in his battle with Casey, 58, of Scranton.
The rally is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Doors are set to open at 4 p.m. Tickets are required and are available for free online at www.donaldjtrump.com. Tickets do not guarantee entry — the event is first-come, first-served and all seating is general admission.
Local authorities have issued the following traffic advisories:
• Expect significant congestion starting at approximately 2 p.m. and continuing until 11 p.m. in the vicinity of Mohegan Sun Arena, including Highland Park Boulevard, Exit 168 of Interstate 81, Route 309, and Mundy Street around the Wyoming Valley Mall.
• Highland Park Boulevard from Schechter Drive to Mundy Street, including Exit 168 (Interstate 81 on/off ramps), will be closed to all traffic and remain closed throughout the duration of the event starting tentatively around 5 p.m. until approximately 9 p.m.
• Interstate 81 will incur a brief 10-mile closure prior to and after the event.
• A No Drone Fly Zone will be in effect for a 15-mile radius around the arena and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m.
• The arena parking lot will open at approximately noon. No vehicles will be permitted on-site in the general parking lot until noon. Parking is $10, to be paid by cash only. No vehicles will be permitted to enter the lot from Highland Park Boulevard after 5 p.m until after the event concludes.
• Drivers may use the free GPS navigation app Waze to get real-time road closures, traffic conditions and road information to help navigate. For driving directions, visit: (https://waze.to/lu/hdr64d52rh)
• All attendees will be screened by metal detector prior to admission. In cases in which a person, by reason of medical necessity, is unable to submit to this screening process, that person may request a manual pat-down by security. Bag checks will also be conducted. All guests are encouraged to arrive early with the enhanced security procedures in place.
• No weapons of any kind are permitted on the property, including the parking lot. This includes guns, knives, chain wallets, etc. Umbrellas are also not permitted inside. The venue does not have exterior coverings to protect from the weather outside the entrances. No guests will be permitted inside until doors are opened for the event.
• Cameras, cell phones, video and audio recording devices are permitted. No professional lens cameras or detachable lens cameras will be permitted.
• The NBT Bank Box Office at Mohegan Sun Arena will be closed Thursday. The box office will reopen at 10 a.m. Friday. Tickets for all other arena events may be purchased online at Ticketmaster.com, or by phone at (800) 745-3000.
Reach Bill O’Boyle at 570-991-6118 or on Twitter @TLBillOBoyle.